An existing Grade 2 listed building situated along Teignmouth’s grand sea front esplanade, the Riviera was originally built by Lord Courtenay and designed by architect Andrew Patey as Assembly Rooms in 1826. The building was later converted to a hotel, restaurant and finally a cinema in the 1930s.
ADG were commissioned by a local developer to develop initial sketch ideas and gain planning approval for refurbishment and reinstatement of the ground floor shops and replacement of the rooftop caretakers flat with luxury apartments.
The final design uses large areas of glass and integrated solar shading to capitalise on the fantastic sea views. Lift access for the new top storeys was added and visually blended into the existing architecture.
The finished refurbishment and conversion of the Riviera reinstates a quality cinema and theatre combined with a restaurant space. The building’s roof space has been reformed to provide high quality residential units facing out over Den Crescent and the seafront beyond and the building is once again an attractive landmark within Teignmouth’s seafront.