The original, grade 2* listed, Rougemont House was a private residence constructed within the in-filled inner ditch of Exeter’s Rougemont Castle in around 1770. The site is adjacent to a scheduled ancient monument and stands within a public park. The building was extended and modernised in 1805 and 1819 to form a very fine regency villa whose external appearance has remained unchanged from this time. In 1913 the building was converted to a museum of archaeology, but became the city library during the war after the old library was burnt down.
In 1969 it was once again reinstated as a museum but following concerns over structural stability major strengthening works were undertaken in 1986. Most recently the building had been used for the storage of museum exhibits, meeting rooms and offices. ADG were commissioned to lead a Design Team and Contractor to develop a scheme to refurbish and revitalise this important but tired building into a brand new school for gifted mathematics students aged between 16-19 years.